A Collective Voice
We should have a voice in the decisions that affect our work lives:
- We need a voice during budget cuts at UVM that is equal to represented employees (faculty and others) on this campus. Read more about United Staff’s statements about the UVM Budget cuts at the bottom of this page.
- We need to participate in deciding appropriate and realistic work loads and job classifications, especially when layoffs cause a shift in responsibilities.
- We need benefits, including health care, tuition remission and retirement, which are not subject to unpredictable and arbitrary change.
Compensation and Respect
We have a right to be at the table:
- Like the UVM faculty union, we believe that UVM staff needs and deserves an equal place at the table when UVM executives decide how to spend or cut University resources.
- We are concerned with the difference in raises between faculty and staff, as well as inequitable salary pools among departments, colleges, and administrative offices.
- We want compensation that is competitive, values our contribution to the University’s mission, and makes long-term employment at UVM possible for all staff.
We value a respectful, equitable, and collaborative workplace:
- We have a right to fair problem solving and grievance procedures that work.
- We have a right to constructive supervision, fair treatment of all staff, and recognition of long-term service and experience.
- We believe everyone should have opportunities for additional training and career advancement.
- We want greater employment security for grant-funded (soft-money) positions and staff with “temporary” status.
- We want a chance to contribute our ideas and creativity to making UVM more successful.
Consideration for our personal lives
We recognize the importance of family, community, and personal commitments:
- We support compassionate work time flexibility.
- We need fair and equitable family leave for all staff.
- We support adequate vacation policies for all staff.
- We support recognition for volunteer community work and reasonable staff time to volunteer (like with IBM and other local large employers).
What do you have to add?
We want to hear from you! This list has been compiled from input of UVM staff members across campus. If you have other issues that you want to share, please contact US at union[at]unitedstaff[dot]us