The mission of United Staff is to create a clerical, professional, and technical staff union at UVM that reflects our needs and values.
We envision and believe:
- that a staff union at UVM will make UVM a stronger,
more effective, and more successful institution for everyone, including students, faculty, the administration, and the state of Vermont;
- that if UVM invests in its staff, then the staff will invest in UVM through long-term commitment, dedication, creativity, and passion;
- that staff are part of a team with the students, faculty and administration in UVM’s successes and challenges;
- that when staff are valued and supported, we are able to do our best work to support the faculty, the administration, and most importantly, the students;
- that a spirit of cooperation and collaboration, not confrontation, will provide the best results in our dealings amongst ourselves and with other groups on campus;
- that interactions among UVM staff, faculty, administration, and students are characterized by transparency, trust, and accountability;
History of United Staff
United Staff formed in the spring of 2004. We worked at first with the AFT, a national union, who helped us learn ways to start working toward a union. In 2006, we parted ways with AFT and are now focused on organizing the staff on campus through our own vision of respect and inclusion. Working on a union effort is long and hard work. While there have been frustrations along the way, we are dedicated to this effort and are continuing to build our efforts to ensure that all staff at UVM are represented.